Wednesday House Call, October 17, 2018
Dr Barry Dworkin joins Rob Snow to discuss the latest health stories of the week.
Today: A familiar historical pattern of anecdote used to promote a beloved chemical compound will not necessarily lead to the claimed health benefits. The Law of Unintended Consequences and evidenced-based research usually sticks its nose into the fray.
Your calls about:
- Does cannabis help for anxiety and depression (evidence: NO)
- Does smoking cannabis negatively affect sperm and male fertility? (Yes but not from THC or CBD but rather from the effect of smoking it. The compounds produced can impact fertility just as seen with cigarettes)
- Cannabis use during pregnancy. Effects on the developing fetus and newborn.
- Flu vaccines for people over 65. Wait for high dose version or take the regular one based on availability.
- Diarrhea after antibiotic use.