Sunday House Call, #700, June 30, 2019: Not crying over spilled milk
A special 700th episode edition! My guest today is Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, Associate Professor of Family Medicine, University of Ottawa and Medical Director of the Bariatric Medical Institute.
We talked about:
- The methodological flaws of studies cited by the Dairy Farmers of Canada claiming that drinking milk reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- How marketing has created a society that views calorie dense processed foods as a normal part of one’s diet.
- How the Senate let Bill S228 die. It that would have restricted junk food marketing to children
- How hospitals like CHEO continue to use junk food as part of fund-raising campaigns
- The reasons to support a soda/sugar tax
- The importance of for our children to learn critical thinking skills to help them fend off quackery
- The importance of learning how to cook using basic ingredients/foods.