Sunday House Call, #552, October 25, 2015: Chemistry for fun and frolic!
When you think about chemistry or hear the word “chemical” as reported by the media or in casual conversation, what is your initial impression? Do you think it is all about toxins and health harms or something else entirely?
Well, in the science-is-more-fascinating-than-fiction category, a chemistry teacher from the UK is trying to liven up chemistry for the masses as it were providing fun, fascinating, practical, educational and demystifying articles such as:
- The Chemistry of Vehicle Emissions Reduction & The Volkswagen Scandal
- The Chemistry of Deodorants vs. Antiperspirants
- The Chemistry of Plums & Prunes: Constipation & Chewing Gum
- Coke & Diet Coke: The Facts and the Fiction
- The Chemistry Behind the Smell of Wet Dogs
- The Chemistry of Cannabis & Synthetic Cannabinoids
- Undeserved Reputation? Aspartame, The Artificial Sweetener Monosodium Glutamate Fluoride & Water Fluoridation
- A Summary of Common Vaccine Components
- Why Doesn’t Honey Spoil? – The Chemistry of Honey
- The Polymorphs of Chocolate
- Why Does Bacon Smell So Good? – The Aroma of Bacon
- Why Chilli Peppers are Spicy: The Chemistry of a Chilli
Andy Brunning is a chemistry teacher based in Cambridge, UK and creator of the compoundchem.com website.